tattoos

Monday, December 28, 2009

Why I Am Not a Fashionista, Part II

Last week I wrote a piece about why I am not a fashionista.  The outfit1 that I wore on Christmas Eve demonstrates many of those reasons that I outlined in that post:

1. Skirt - Anthropologie (thrifted and remixed)
Sweater - Sweater Project (Filene's Basement)
Belt - from another skirt
Tights - Target (sale)
Brown wedges - MIA (DSW and remixed)

This sweater is entering its fifth winter, and if it were pictured more closely, you would be able to see that it is definitely past its prime.  It's starting to pill, and I'm afraid this is its last season for wear (although I think I said that last winter, too...).  I thrifted this gorgeous Anthropologie skirt at a local charity shop.  I think it's beautiful, and I feel good about wearing it because I only paid a few dollars and because it is second-hand.  The shoes were a budget-friendly and smart choice because they're so versatile - they've gotten quite a lot of use.  They're also extremely comfortable for walking around campus and standing in for lecturing.

Because I tend to be a hoarder (as my inability to let the sweater go indicates), I have a particularly well-stocked closet.  While I would always love to have a few more cardigans or another A-line skirt in it, I have decided not to add to my closet for the next two and a half months.  Inspired by the Law School Fashionista and her closet shopping challenge and Rosie Unknown who had been only thrift store shopping for the past couple of months, I am going on a self-imposed SHOPPING BAN for the months of January and February and the first half of March.  For the next two and a half months, I will not buy any clothing, shoes, purses, tights, hats, jewelry, or make-up.  I also won't buy any dvds, books, music, or kitchen appliances.  The only exceptions to my shopping ban will be for job interview related emergencies and toiletries, such as moisturizer and shaving cream, or if I desperately need athletic socks or basic undergarments.

I am implementing this shopping ban for a number of reasons.  I have to pay for alterations for my wedding gown imminently because I'm getting married on January 22nd, and I'm going to get my hair and makeup done by my lovely stylist because I am both vain and hair-challenged.  Even though those things could technically come out of money budgeted for the wedding, I am paying for the alterations myself (paying for my own dress was a pride issue for me), and that will more than deplete my clothing budget for the months of January and February, as well as my budget for little luxuries, like dvds, songs on iTunes, and lipstick.  I have decided to include second-hand items in the ban because I have enough winter clothing.  I have plenty of shoes and boots.  There is really nothing that I need, and this will challenge me to make more creative use of what I have.  I am also trying to shrink my carbon footprint and my amount of credit card debt.  Finally, this will make me really consider what items I really tend to wear, which items tempt me the most to violate the ban and why (I'm not saying that I'll cave into the urges), and which - if any - new trends are worth adopting.  If I can't make it work with what I already have that's just too damn bad. 

I'd love to hear what others think about shopping bans!  Have you ever gone on a shopping ban?  What rules did you set for yourself?  Would you consider going on a shopping ban or not?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger