tattoos

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What I Did in 2009

I hadn't really thought about all the highs (and some lows) of this year until I read a post the other day on By Hillary.  It got me thinking about all that has happened in 2009 (and how I should definitely take more photos in the library).  All in all, 2009 has been a pretty good year.  In mostly chronological order a lot of pretty damn good things:

I got engaged to a wonderful man with whom I am completely in love.  We're getting married soon.


I wrote three chapters of my dissertation.  I submitted an article for publication.  I had an on-campus interview for an adjunct position and got the job (alas it is temporary) at an institution with which I am deeply enamored.  Since last January I have taught five classes (two of them completely new preps and four of them classes of fifty students).  I have marked a mountain of papers, and some of them were actually quite good.

I rewarded myself with two pairs of Fluevog boots for meeting professional goals.  (You have probably seen them a few times on the blog.)

I went to Madrid on my last quick research trip for the dissertation, and as fate would have it my best girlfriend (known to me as my amiguita) was there at the same time!  I'd post a picture, but I am not sure she would approve of that (and since right now she is in a tiny village in Spain with no internet, I can't check with her).

I got my third tattoo.  It is very meaninful to me, as are my other two.  I don't really have a good picture of it to show to you, but I'll show you my favorite tattoo that I got a few years ago, after I passed my exams.



I gave the toast at my best friend's wedding.  It was such an honor to be asked! (By the way, my best friend is married to thechemist-coture.)


My future sister-in-law asked me to hold the chuppah at her beautiful wedding.


M. and I adopted Bailey from a shelter, and we've never looked back.

I started this blog with Megarita and Ann Underfunded Humanity, and thechemist-coture joined the team before long, as well.  Thanks to this, I'm far less afraid of having my picture taken than I was a few months ago.  It also has introduced me to an absolutely wonderful community of style bloggers in academia and other professions.  Thanks to all of you for writing posts and to those of you who read my blog!  You rock!

I ran my first marathon.

I finally got my mama to come visit me out here in the Midwest.  We had Thanksgiving dinner with her and M.'s parents here.

I won a contest, and we at Fashionable Academics are hosting our first Giveaway!

How was your 2009?  What were your best moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger