tattoos

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green (With Envy)

A couple of weeks ago, T. of What Would a Nerd Wear asked me to write a guest post about academic interview attire.  Even though I've only had one on campus interview, this is a topic that I've given a lot of thought to having observed many job searches.  Writing this piece, though, among other things, such as my very grim job prospects for next year, put me into a very dark place for a couple of weeks.  As I compulsively checked the wiki in my field to discover that almost all of the very few places that are hiring in my field had arranged convention interviews with candidates who weren't me, I became more depressed by the day.  I have given up hope of even being granted an interview for a tenure track job on this year's market.  I was becoming envious of friends and colleagues who had received good news about interviews and almost cried in a colleague's office, when I told her that after being asked for more materials by a fantastic institution, they had decided not to grant me an interview.  Sounds depressing, right?  Well, it is - or it was....

The other day I realized that before I go completely insane, I have to work on controlling my mood.  I'm still hopeful that there will be quite a few one-year and adjunct positions and that something will work out for me.  In the meantime, I'm going to focus on the things I can control: revisions, getting my dissertation defended in early spring, preparing my classes for next term, being more consistent with running (after my marathon in October, I've been spending too much time on the couch and not enough time on the running trails and treadmill and I know that exercise really helps to energize me and keep me sane), and dressing stylishly on a graduate student/adjunct faculty budget.

Thanks so much to all of you who read my blog and to those who write such thoughtful comments!  You have been a great source of positivity for me during a very difficult time.  I'm taking today off from work.  Classes are done for the term, and I need a break after all that grading before I try to refocus on my own scholarship tomorrow.  I also need to run some errands and finish up some holiday shopping, so today I'm dressed for comfort and channeling Kermit the Frog instead of Oscar the Grouch for strength.1 



















1. GEEK shirt - I've had it for years so I don't remember where I bought it
Cardi - Target
Jeans - Express
Boots - Steve Madden (DSW)
Leather Jacket - New York & Co. (sale)
Green Faux Fur Vest - Cejon Accessories (Filene's Basement)

Has your semester finished up?  Are you done with your holiday shopping?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger