tattoos

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Channeling My Inner Katharine

Last week I wore an outfit inspired by style icon Audrey Hepburn.  Yesterday, I decided to try to channel another twentieth century diva, Katharine Hepburn.  I love Katharine Hepburn (she had a degree in history!), and her work, especially her performances in Little Women, The Lion in Winter, The Philadelphia Story, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.  (My mom even blames The Lion in Winter, along with Indiana Jones, for influencing me at impressionable age to become interested in history.)  Katharine's personal style famously centered around high-waisted trousers and button downs.  She almost always wore pants.  Her so-called "boyish" style helped to pave the way for both better cut pants and blazers for women and for the chic androgynous-femme look so popularized by Audrey Hepburn.

I wore trousers and a blazer1 in an attempt to emulate Katharine's chic look yesterday for a day of meetings and grading at a coffee shop.  Then I spent part of the evening prepping one of my last classes of the term with some unwanted help from Bailey, who loves to try to get on my lap while I'm typing -- and while I'm taking pictures for my outfit posts....



(Note: I doubt that  Kate Hepburn ever had a fleece blanket with hearts on it.  I'm a little embarrassed that I forgot this was on the couch before I took pictures, but oh well. This blanket and cups of tea keep me warm as I write lectures and grade quizzes.)










1.  Button down - Zoe D (Filene's Basement)
Trousers - ABS (Filene's Basement)
Blazer - Rafaella (Filene's Basement)
Spectator Pumps - r2 remixed
(None new)

The easiest part of putting together my Katharine ensemble was that it's really all wardrobe basics: button down shirt, dark trousers, and most academics have a blazer or four stashed in their closets (if they don't wear one most days).   So, academics and other readers, I'd like to hear how you style your blazers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger