tattoos

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cleavage in the Classroom?

Yesterday I wanted to wear a BCBG dress that I love, but that fills me with trepidation every time I wear it to campus.  Why?  Because my right breast threatens to fall out if it every other time I wear it.  I'll think I'm safe, I'll be wearing a proper bra, then I'll bend over to plug my flash drive into a computer console and uh-oh!  I'm suddenly concerned that there's going to be a case of indecent exposure.  I had taken to only wearing this dress with a cardigan buttoned up over it, but it was an unflattering look for me because the dress has a built-in sash.   I realized yesterday that I needed to be a little more savvy with my layering.  By putting a short-sleeved turtleneck underneath, I was able to solve the problem.1 (Yesterday's outfit also rounded out my week-long boot challenge.)
1. Dress - BCBG (Filene's Basement)
Turtleneck - Necessary Objects (Filene's Basement)
Cardi - August Silk (thrifted)
Tights - Target
Boots - Kenneth Cole Reaction (DSW)
Beads - Blanco
Earrings - Gift

So this brings me to an issue that I've thought about a lot off and on over the years: is cleavage appropriate for professors in the classroom?  How much is too much?  Or is any too much?  I freely admit that I have worn some shirts and dresses that show a bit of cleavage, especially when I'm teaching a summer class. Thoughts from those who teach students and those who sit in classrooms or used to would be much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger