tattoos

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

'bundle, v.

Perhaps you love the Oxford English Dictionary like I do.  If you do, you might already know the many meanings of the word bundle, but then again you might not.  According to the OED, the word has several definitions:

1. trans. To tie in, or make up into, a bundle. 

b. To ‘fagot’ bar iron for the purpose of welding it together.

c. To wrap in warm, heavy, or cumbersome clothing, etc. Usu. in pass. and with up.

{dag}2. fig. To collect, to gather into a mass. (Usually with up or together.) Obs.

 3. intr. To pack up one's effects in preparation for a journey; hence, to go with all one's luggage or incumbrances. Of a number of persons: To go precipitately and in disorder, ‘all in a bundle’ (cf. 4): chiefly with in, off, out; also used with sing. subj. and in extended use.


4. trans. To put or send (persons or things) away, in, off, out, etc., hurriedly and unceremoniously. Cf. ‘pack off’, ‘send packing’.

5. intr. To sleep in one's clothes on the same bed or couch with (as was formerly customary with persons of opposite sexes, in Wales and New England).

I have taught a time or two about the Puritan practice of bundling.  I've bundled up all my possession to move numerous times.  I've tied things up in a bundle here and there.  I might have sent a person off unceremoniously a couple of times (although I didn't know until now that I had bundled them - ha!)  I've never welded anything, but perhaps I can make up for that by bundling up in warm and heavy (although hopefully not too cumbersome) clothing until Spring.

Yesterday I woke up to the first snowflakes of the season falling down here.  Snow is pretty to look at, but less glamorous for commuting and trudging around two campuses.  I wanted to stay warm and snug, but I also wanted to wear my new wrap dress from Target.  So I decided to layer dress on top of dress and over the knee socks on top of thick sweater tights.1  With my snow boots, a winter coat, and the scarf that my friend made me, I was all set to brave the elements.  I have to say though I was glad that the snow didn't stick.  I was also glad that my outfit made me feel snug and warm throughout the day, although I'm not sure that it was as stylish as my first effort at layering dresses.











1. Wrap dress - Target
Purple dress - Target
Sweater tights - a tight boutique in Madrid
OTKs - Target
Boots - Rocket Dog (gift from my fiance)
Necklace - Etsy (gift from my fiance)

I feel like wrap dresses are hard for me to wear because of the way my body is shaped.  How do you style wrap dresses?  How would you style this dress in the future?  Also, am I the only person in the world who finds rings annoying to wear with gloves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger