tattoos

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Festive Business Casual Chic with a Twist

What to wear . . . what to wear . . .

It is that time, lovies. Time to don your holiday frock and venture out into the night!

As inspiration, I'm sharing Three Holiday Party Successes and One Epic Fail.

(In no particular order)

1. WORKY: A very low key grey V-neck sweater with black beading (Old Navy) with a good looking black miniskirt (Armani), stockings and black heels. Then I tied a red velvet bow around my neck and trotted off to our work party. Successful? Absolutely! No flashing Santas or embroidered reindeer sweaters, but I looked festive and the bow adds a strange little sexy kick. Only downside? Colleague got smashed on egg nog and made an inappropriate remark about unwrapping me. Awkward.

To be honest, this scheme is a go-to for me during the holidays. Little black dress (Loehman's) and a red bolero jacket (Gap) or something red and shiny as jewelry. [Always grab a little black dress with short sleeves or no sleeves. Layering is so much easier.] Sparkles and black. I'll be wearing this when I'm 80, just in a longer length.

2. My chubby alternative outfit: I found a fabulous green silk blouse (Banana Republic sale) and I wear it with a pair of terrific tailored black trousers and heels. Gold jewelry? Check. Big hair? Check. Eating whatever I want or at least looking like I could? Double check. You look lean in good slacks, and a flowy blouse that isn't a pup tent is a lifesaver. Love a shiny blouse in a fab color.

3. Red Wrap Dress (pictured). I may need to be buried in this dress (Max Azria, got it at Filene's) if we're being honest. Long sleeves, great fit, can be dressed pretty far up for holiday festive. I tend to throw on pearls and sparkly earrings, as seen here, but gold works well, too. Black heels usually, but open toe.

My Epic Fail: I found the most beautiful strapless green gown, sort of charmeusy, and wore it a big Christmas Eve Party. I had a little furry shrug to keep me warm. The pictures tell the story--I'm far too overdressed, I have a vaguely jaundiced look to me, and the furry shrug really looks like I've taken the pelt of a muppet a la Lady Gaga. I tried too hard. I do still have the dress!


(Disclaimer: Now, this is Megarita Style, to be sure. I tend to underplay, but it works for me. There are those of you who can totally work the crazy formal wear. I envy you! Go forth!)

Happy Holidays, lovely ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger