tattoos

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Holding Myself Accountable

Hmmmmm.....  A few weeks ago, when 2010 still seemed shiny and sparkly and new, I set some goals for the year.  Just so that I'm holding myself accountable I'm checking in with you.

Goal #1 had to do with finishing and defending the dissertation.  After having bronchitis over the holiday, getting caught up in the mad dash of preparing for my conference and interview, and the start of two new school terms, my advisor and I finally sat down and chatted.  I'm turning in a complete draft from intro to bibliography on March 15th.  I'm working on the revisions of the last chapter and the introduction starting this weekend.

Goal #2 was all about the shopping ban.  I admit that I have violated it to buy my first piece of Wendy Brandes jewelry, but it was for a really, really good cause.  I don't feel bad about this at all.  Aside from that purchase, I've been holding strong and I've enjoyed trying to be more creative with my closet.  When in doubt I build an outfit around one piece, such as a pair of tights1, like I did Sunday.  I wore this outfit for brunch with M., my family, and a couple of close girlfriends and to have my man of honor and his husband, thechemist-coture, over for coffee and leftover wedding cake. 

1. Navy Sweater dress - H&M
Floral tights - ModCloth (remixed)
Boots - Steve Madden (remixed)
Belt - Target (remixed)

Goal #3 I'm running but I'm still not in very good form after my bout of bronchitis.  The cough.  It lingers.  This is not good because I'm running my first of three half-marathons in less than two months.

Goal #4 of getting out another article is on the back burner for now.  That is fine.

Goal #5 was for me to be more mindful.  For the most part I have been.  I've been meditating and doing yoga.  My table was covered with the warmers and food dishes we had borrowed from the restaurant for a couple of days, but apart from then I've been eating at the table.


Goal #6 of reading a poem a day has been a pleasure so far.  Right now I'm reading Emily Dickinson, Pablo Neruda, and Shel Silverstein.

Goal #7 has been a bit of a struggle, but there's nothing like having a wedding reception at your home to inspire you to clean it....

Goal #8 was to continue to grow my hair out.  It might become more of a struggle now that the wedding is over.  I wanted a glamorous updo, and I got one.  Now I'm so tempted to cut my hair, but it's just a few more months, so I will be patient.

If you set goals for the new year or resolutions, how are you doing with them? Are you finding some easier to keep up with than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger