tattoos

Monday, January 18, 2010

Professartorialism: More Musings on Florals

I mentioned in my post yesterday that younger, female academics might want to avoid floral patterns during the first couple of weeks of the term.  I no longer worry about being mistaken for an undergraduate, but I do still like to keep some distance between me and my students.  I am not their peer.

When I started my job as a visiting faculty member at an institution that I love, several other faculty in various departments warned me (and others) that students often try to manipulate female faculty in ways they wouldn't try with male faculty.  In part, they said (and I agree) that this has something to do with viewing female faculty, especially younger female faculty, as "nice" and as "approchable."  One of the commenters on my post yesterday mentioned that it might be wise to avoid wearing anything that gives the impression that you are "soft" when you are at the front of the classroom.  I didn't have any issues with my students last term, but all of the warnings made me even more conscious than I usually am about setting a certain tone.  If you don't want to be pestered to take late assignments, push back deadlines, or have your grading system challenged, you have to be prepared to exude a certain demeanor.  And part of the self that a professor or instructor performs includes dress.  That's why I tend to dress up - especially during the first few weeks of class - but I save the floral patterns (and jeans) for later in the term or the days I'm not going into campus.

That's why I'm wearing my floral tights1 today.
1. Dress - Target (remixed)
Shirt - H&M (remixed)
Tights - ModCloth (remixed)
Shoes - r2 (DSW and remixed)
Necklace - Target (clearance and remixed)

Do you see style of dress as linked to authority and  approachability as I do?  As Elaine does? 

On an unrelated note, since I'm on a shopping ban and trying to get creative with my closet, I would love some suggestions about how else to style these floral ModCloth tights!  What would you wear them with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger