tattoos

Monday, January 11, 2010

Interview Attire in Action

I'm back from my conference, which was very good but extremely tiring.  I think that my interview went well, but I suppose I'll know for sure if I get invited for a campus interview here in a couple of weeks.  My fingers are crossed.

Large conferences and interviews can definitely be rather overwhelming -- if not downright intimidating -- but I honestly feel like there's no better way to project self-confidence and authority than dressing professionally.  Dressing in jeans and a t-shirt for an interview can indicate to a committee that you aren't really interested in the position for which you are interviewing.  Dressing in a suit1 shows that you know how to play the part of an academic at a major conference and at an interview.

1. Suit - Calvin Klein (Filene's Basement)
Shell - Target
Tights - HUE
Oxford Spectator Pumps - r2 (DSW and remixed)
Briefcase - McKlein USA
Watch - New York & Co. (sale)

I realize I look a bit disheveled in these pictures.  I took them about five hours after my interview.

I ran into a lot of old friends and made some new friends at the conference.  I was able to have a coffee with my undergraduate adviser and to have margaritas in the sunshine (away from the conference) with my former housemate. 

Isn't she lovely?  She works on sustainability projects in southern California now and is planning a trip to Tanzania to do work on a project with other academics soon. 

So, my dear fashionable academics, do you agree with me about wearing suits to interviews?  What do you wear for interviews instead?  For those of you who aren't in the academy, what do you tend to wear to interviews in your profession? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger