tattoos

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Florals and Stripes

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know that I've been on a shopping ban for about 2.5 weeks now.  In case you've been wondering, so far it's been relatively smooth sailing because I have been avoiding temptation.

The shopping ban's main purpose was to keep my budget in line even with the added expenses of attire and beauty for my upcoming wedding.  It had a few other purposes, though, as well.  One of which was a sort of learning exercise.  I wanted to be forced to make better use of what I already had in my closet.  I had been wondering, though, if the ban would make me fall horribly behind on current trends (not that I like or wear all of them).  When I read the most recent issue of Glamour, I realized that most of the trends that I would be willing to try anyway (especially for teaching attire) I'll be able to make work with what I've got.  For example, jumpsuits make me look and feel like a blob, and thus, they are not something I would think too much about buying even without the shopping ban.  However, mixing floral and striped patterns1 is something that I am willing and able to do.

1. Shirt - ??? (Filene's Basement)
Cardi - Target (remixed)
Jeans - Express (remixed)
Boots - Steve Madden (remixed)
Belt - From another dress (remixed)
Earrings - Gift (remixed)

Now, in my opinion, mixing stripes and florals is a trend that I think is translateable into classroom appropriate attire.  However, I do think that female academics should approach floral patterns with a bit of caution, especially those who are younger or look quite young and especially early in the term when it is important to set the tone for the next ten to fifteen weeks.  Florals can make one seem "girly," which is not always the message an instructor wants to send to her students.  And -- for better or worse -- students do notice what we wear.

What do you think about this trend?  And, for those readers who are academics, what do you think?  Do you think I'm just a croaking Cassandra?  Have you, did you, or will you wear a floral pattern on the first day of the term?


Oh, and, there's still a couple of weeks to answer our CFP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger