tattoos

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Scholar Look With a Twist

As I've mentioned before, my Mondays are ridiculously long days.  This one was no exception.  In my evening class (of 50 students) I had a discussion planned for the second half of class.  There's just no good way to configure 50 students into a circle or a horseshoe in the classroom that I teach this class in because of the size of the room.  If I sit in a chair, I can't see which student is raising her/his hand at the back, so, during discussions, I tend to sit on the desk at the front of the room.  The potential fashion hindrances of this situation and the hazards of ignoring them should be obvious for those of you who like to wear skirts.  On days when I'm planning a discussion in this class, it's best to wear longer skirts or pants.  Today I chose jeans.1

1. Cropped Blazer - Silence + Noise (thrifted)
Jeans - Express
Shirt - Filene's Basement
Shoes - Fluevog Mary Janes
Scarf - Target
An undergraduate professor of mine biked around campus, wearing what I think of as the scholar look: jeans, a button down shirt or sweater, and a blazer.  This morning I decided to go for this kind of scholarly look, but with a cropped blazer and some softer elements and jewelry to give it a bit of a twist and add some interest.2 It was a comfy outfit for a day that began early and lasted until after dark, and it was nice to not have to worry about how I was sitting on that desk!
2. Botón Charro Ring - scored in Salamanca, Spain
Pink ring - gift
Earrings - Filene's Basement
Bracelet - ???  (I've had it for years)

I know that some academics don't wear jeans to teach in.  I know that others of you have mentioned previously that you wear jeans for teaching/work, but how do you style them?  Do you wait until later in the term to wear jeans or are they fair game from the first day of the semester on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger