tattoos

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blue Whimsy

Today was a long day.  My beagle got up at 6:15; normally that would have set me on the woman-vs.-beast-warpath, but this morning I was actually getting up that early too.  I had to commute out to the liberal arts college where I'm a visiting faculty member in order to observe one of my mentor's classes.  Then I had meetings with a couple of my students who wanted to discuss the papers they have due on Monday.  In the afternoon I drove back home to do an hour or so of work and then took a bus into campus to hear a talk that one of my dissertation committee members was giving.  Finally, I dropped stuff off at home and went to meet a couple of friends in the Sciences for dinner and a glass of wine.

I chose an outfit that had a little whimsy and played with different hues of blues accented with a bit of black and grey.*  My outfit held up really well and kept me cheerful throughout my busy day.  I also got a couple of compliments on my own teaching and research, as well as a couple on my outfit.  There's nothing like hearing from a student how much they like your class and how much they want to take the class you're putting on next term and hearing from one of your committee members that the last chapter that you submitted was "wonderful" to make your day.  Again, I argue that a sense of style and good scholarship are not antithetical. 
*Footnotes
Dress - Filene's Basement (clearance)
Cardigan - Target
Flower Pin - from another cardigan
Belt - from another skirt
Tights - Filene's Basement
Bracelet - Target (clearance)
Spectator Pumps - DSW

How do you brighten up your long days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger