tattoos

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dedicated to My Friends, The Ecologists

Although I am a historian, it wasn't always a sure thing.  When I was a kid I always assumed I'd be a scientist.  My late father was a zoologist and he encouraged this notion.  Somehow through the combination of inspiring professors and intriguing primary sources and perhaps sheer insanity, I ended up majoring in history and going to grad school.  Yet, I am drawn to people who work in and study the outdoors.  (Perhaps it's the end result of all those childhood days in the grasslands and piney woods looking for critters with my dad. ) One of my favorite people in the world studies trees. (She is bad-ass and always going camping with her dog and jumping off of big rocks!) Another friend of mine studies birds in urban environments.  Another studies wetland ecosystems.  They clearly dress a little bit differently for fieldwork than I do.

When I came across this skirt at a thrift store, I thought of them.  I thought the skirt was (and is) lovely, and so are they.
I wore it yesterday. I realized that I was a day off because this skirt is a celebration of nature and it would have gone perfectly with my lecture on the Enlightenment (with its emphasis on Reason and Nature) and the Bourbon Reforms today.  Oh, well...
1. Skirt - Thrifted
Halter top - Hand-me-down (thanks FSIL!)
Cardigan - New York & Company
Boots - John Fluevog
Tights - Who knows....
Necklace - Gift from a friend






No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger