tattoos

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Boot Challenge: Day 1

Yesterday morning after taking count of my boot collection, I decided that two pairs of my Fluevog boots had been having all the fun, and I challenged myself to wear a different pair of boots every day for the next week.  After my closet cleaning and a run (and a shower), I settled in for a day of working on my own research.  To be specific I was finishing up some article revisions.  I had had this article hanging over my head for far too long.  I could have just worn sweats all day, but I had just given myself this challenge and was also hoping to be able to go out to a movie with some girlfriend in the evening after I finished revisions.  So I got dressed.  I usually only cuff my jeans with my pink and wine Fluevogs, but I decided this look could work well for some of my other boots, as well.1 What do you think about the cuffed jeans look?

I did end up finishing the revisions and sending this article back out to an academic journal.  (Thank G-d!)  My movie plans didn't end up panning out, but my fiance and I did have Mexican food to celebrate me kicking that article out the door.

1. Jeans - Express
Tank - Thrifted
Blouse - H&M (sale)
Cardi - Target
Boots - Steve Madden (via DSW)
Earrings - Gift
Books - might actually go back to the University library :)

An anonymous reader commented on my post yesterday, reminding us that we should invest in taking care of our boots (and shoes).  S/he was exactly right!  Remember that boot trees, shoe polish, distressed leather conditioner, and especially your local cobbler are your friends.  I admit that I can get bad about caring for my boots properly especially at this point in the term, when time seems to shrink and every day I seem to fall more behind.  The boots that I wore yesterday are in need of a polishing.  I've had them for six years now, and I'd like to have them for at least six more.  I try to look at my boots as an investment.  They are something worth spending money on upfront and to maintain.  I wear boots almost exclusively to shlep from building to building on campus during the gross, Midwestern winters.  One of the reasons that I like Fluevogs so much is that I know they will hold up really well through lots of (over)use.  Sure, they cost more than boots I could buy at Urban Outfitters or Target, but I know they will last longer and that their cost per wear will actually be quite low.

Where do you buy your boots and how do you maintain them?    

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger