tattoos

Friday, November 13, 2009

Nerd Alert: The Hola Shirt Makes Its First Gratuitous Appearance of the Semester

I am a raging hispanophile.  I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I used to live in Madrid.  I've done archival research in Spain and Mexico.  I went on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.  I specialize in Spanish history.  I listen to flamenco music.  I make tortilla. I own a ridiculous shirt that I bought two years ago at Urban Outfitters that proudly proclaims, "HOLA!"*

Now I try not to wear this shirt too often anymore.  Partly because I wore it a few times too many to teach in, and then I wore it a few too many times to nerd out in with other scholars at a month-long seminar/workshop back in my early days of ownership.  I also may or may not be known to almost sing "Hola!!!!" when I enter a room (at home, on campus, at the pub).  This August I safely tucked the shirt away under a bunch of other clothes in a dresser drawer.  Yet, I could hear it calling to me morning after morning.  It's persistent and exuberant "HOLA!" only slightly muffled by sweaters and long-sleeved t-shirts.  This morning I could resist its clarion call no more.  I wore it to work in my office and to teach my class. 

I readily admit that this is not my most fashion-forward of outfits.  I'm not even sure it qualifies as geek chic, but I got all of those suppressed "HOLAS!!!" out of my system for a few months at least....

*Footnotes
T-Shirt - Urban Outfitters
Skirt - Chico's (Clothing Swap)
Boots - John Fluevog
Blazer - Filene's Basement
Necklace - Etsy (gift from my fiance)

What elements of your wardrobe are decidedly nerdy?  How do you make them more fashion-forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger