tattoos

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Scarf Fairy and Questions of Casual Clothing

Today when I got up, I had only morning office hours and an evening class standing in between me and some blessed time away from the classroom.  Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, and I really like most of my students, but I need a solid day away from them and their writing and their emails to finish article revisions before my mom and in-laws show up for Mashed Potato and Pumpkin Pie Fest 2009.  Because the weather was damp and chill today, I opted for layers and boots.1  I assembled this outfit except for the scarf.  The scarf magically arrived in my life a bit later.


When I arrived at the office, I found that I had been visited by the scarf fairy (who also happens to double as the canning fairy).  She had left me this gorgeous scarf, which she had knitted for me and which happened to match my outfit just about perfectly.  Apparently the pattern is called "La Novia" and that made her think of me, her friend, the Hispanophile.  Her gift made my day.  I absolutely love scarves, and I like to wear them tied in different ways and even belted now.  I have lots of plans for this beautiful scarf and will think of my friend whenever I wear it.
  
1. Skinny Corduroys - New York & Co. (sale)
Turtleneck - Necessary Objects (Filene's Basement)
Shirt - H&M
Cardi - August Silk (thrifted)
Coat - Zara
Boots - John Fluevog
Bracelet - Who Knows???
Necklace - I made it at a jewelry class in Madrid
Ring - Gift

This outfit is a little more casual than I usually wear for teaching, but as it was my last class before a holiday break, I felt like trying to will the vacation here by dressing as if I were already on it.  That translated into skinny cords and a headband.  (It didn't work by the way.)  Even though I don't think that clothes can generate much authority when it's not already there, I like to dress up a bit more when I teach than when I'm just working from home.  I don't believe that they can make students respect you if your demeanor is timid or nervous in spite of your power suit or tie and blazer.  That said, I also think that clothes are a powerful means of self-fashioning and can help the wearer to feel more powerful and self-confident.  This is the main reason that I put so much thought into my outfits.  The other day there was an interesting post and ensuing discussion on one of my new favorite blogs about the subject of whether or not there's an item of clothing that automatically confers authority on women.  Dear readers, I've asked your thoughts on wearing jeans, but what are your thoughts on casual clothing in general in the classroom?  I'm particularly interested in whether or not you think casual clothes in the classroom undermine the authority of female academics.... However, I'm also interested in your thoughts about whether or not students view the supposedly prototypical, slobby, male professor in old jeans and a stained t-shirt with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger