tattoos

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Campus Wear: Teaching v. Non-Teaching Days

I think I tend to dress like a nanny (see below) or a crunchy mom on the days that I go to campus but do not teach.
1. Nanny Wear
Top - Ann Taylor Loft
Cami - Banana Republic
Skinny Cargoes - Ann Taylor Loft
Helmet - Target?

This is what I wore last Wednesday when I rode my bike to campus to do work in the library, attend a 1-hr reading group, and then go to the gym. When I ride my bike it is a bumpy 8-mile round trip ride and requires me to wear a backpack. And when I dress like this I tend not to wear makeup or really do my hair:
2. Scarf - Tie Rack (defuct)
Earrings - Jessica Simpson (ugh: I really want to lie and say I got them at Filene's, but I loved how they imitate the rose windows of stained glass so much that I paid full price at Macy's)
Hair - Brushed and still drying

On the day I wore this outfit I did run into a student whose friend thought I was an undergrad.  Then I attended a reading group, where I may have irritated an emeritus professor when, discussing modes of taste in philosophy and literature at the time, I recalled my reaction to reading Alexander Pope as an undergrad (why the hell can't this just be in prose?). This is the draw back to looking young and dressing non-professional.  But I didn't feel like jamming my backpack full of a professional-looking outfit just to wear for 5 hours before I go to the gym. I'm fine with changing on days that I teach, but on library days I'd rather just bring a single outfit (plus gym clothes).

Compare to today, where I tried on multiple outfits and finally settled on The Most Versatile Dress I've Ever Owned:
3. Dress - Anthro/Corey Lynn Calter
Cardi - Anthro/Sparrow (gifted - thanks Mom!)
Scarf - H & M
Legs - Bare (all hose had run!)

This shot was horrible, but I uploaded photos to my computer this morning and left without the camera. Here's a shot of the dress alone:
I've worn this dress to a wedding (LHdM's), a rehearsal dinner, my exam defense, a conference, and countless times to teach in. It dresses up or down and is one of the most season-less, flattering fits ever. I love pairing it with red, gold, maroon, purple, green, and teal. Today I went with black and maroon.
4. Earrings - Anthro
Hair - Done

It doesn't take a lot for me to look put-together, but a little effort really does make a difference. And although what I wear does not actually reflect how much knowledge I have on a subject or how much time I spent lesson planning, I would be a fool not to acknowledge that there is a general perception that correlates scholastic readiness with sartorial readiness.


5. Shoes - Indigo by Clarks
Wine Rack - Not full :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger