tattoos

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Accessorize-ing

I am still scrambling like all hell to tweak my syllabus into something perfect, but at least the book order is in.
1. Sweater - Express via Marshalls
Linen pants - Fresh Produce via Marshalls
Sandals - Bear Traps via DSW
Sunglasses - H & M (remixed)

I have a departmental meeting today and, lately, I've been running into colleagues, faculty, and even former students.* For that reason, I will now be banning yoga clothes for day time wear. I went with something simple and bike-able. It also strikes me as boring: beige and black, seriously? Which is why accessories are key:

2. Peacock Earrings - Accessorize
Scarf - London street vendor, a bijillion years ago

You must be thinking that Shakespeare's Feminine Ending was lucky enough to get a fabulous grant to go do research in England this past summer, or that she had a romantic continental vacation and went crazy at the Accessorize at Heathrow while catching her flight back to North America. Something more amazing happened.

For those of you who find that you need to spend time in Washington, D.C. for various reasons you may be interested to know that D.C.'s Union Station now has an Accessorize--in fact, Union Station has the ONLY Accessorize in the States. Last month I was changing trains there and took a walk through to get a cream puff at the Vaccaro's in the basement and almost went apeshit when I discovered it was no longer there (of course, the flagship Vaccaro's in Baltmiore's Little Italy and other locations still remain). However, when I returned up to the main floor I saw the sign: Accessorize. Impossible! I quickly forgot the fact that I was cream puff-less.
3. Bag - Accessorize

So, I picked up some accessories and went on my merry little way. And I love this bag--I can carry two or three books, a moleskin, a legal pad, wallet, iPod, etc. and it's perfect for my size. I also find the single strap works easier than two. And here's a final close up of the Peacock earrings, which remind me of the Arabian dance in the Nutcracker ballet:


*Question: When a former student doesn't *see* you when walking past you, but is staring off into space somewhere off to the left of him/her, is that because s/he doesn't want to see you or because s/he legitimately just stares off into space away from oncoming passersby? See, I've dealt with direct avoidance before: I was at the gym last year when a former student walked into the stretching room, saw me doing sit-ups, dropped his/her mouth open, turned on his/her heel and quickly exited. And I think s/he exited the gym. Any students/instructors out there have similar stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger