tattoos

Monday, September 27, 2010

Back to School: Chemistry and Society

It’s my last quarter at big midwestern university and I am ecstatic. Not only for my pending graduation (Yay!/Finally!), but also I have been assigned to teach a lovely course on “Chemistry and Society.” It’s a GEC course for non-science majors to fulfill a core science requirement, so there’s not a lot of actual chemistry that they will have to take on. But, what we will address is how chemistry (and science in general) have an impact on decision making (everyday and otherwise) on some hot button current issues/events. Things like what, if anything, should be done about global climate change? What renewable energy sources would be most viable? What are these so called “green fuels” and how “green” are they? In short, I am thrilled to have to rare opportunity to step outside the “let’s learn how to balance equations and work out limiting reagents” that dominates most chemistry courses.

On my first day back in the classroom I wore my favorite “green” shirt and purple plaid tie. I just love that this shirt is somewhere between summer and fall and fits the timing of the autumnal equinox perfectly.

I accessorized with my ever-necessary timepieces. This particular watch was a gift from the hubby on our 2 year anniversary. He was away in Germany in the archives and I was stateside preparing for my general exams. During that tough time apart he was super supportive. Lovingly, he had engraved on the back “Du liegst mir im herzen”. Cheesy, I know, but every time I check the time I think of how sweet he was during that rough time. Do you have some accessories that hold fond memories of the giver? I love utilitarian gifts that make me remember a place, time or person, don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger