tattoos

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Intelligent, classy, well-educated women who say F@#! a lot

A few days ago, I noticed a Facebook group called "intelligent, classy, well-educated women who say F*ck a lot" and thought to myself: that is the group for me!  For those who know me in real life this would come as no surprise.  Several years ago, I accidentally let the word fuck slip in a graduate seminar, and ever since I've had a bit of a reputation for swearing.  
Considering the frequency with which I use the word, it may come as no surprise that I have been coveting the Wendy Brandes swear rings for a as long as I have known of their existence.  Indeed I have been plotting to make them mine.   Well, after meeting a couple of goals (one half-marathon down, dissertation submitted to my committee, lots of poetry, shopping ban finished with only one slip-up) that I've been working towards for a while, I decided that it was time to stop fucking coveting and buy the damn things.

I ordered them on Friday (after some difficulty remembering my password, which led to an ironically appropriate bit of swearing and having to set up a new account), and Wendy shipped them to me right away.  They arrived at my front door on Saturday morning, so I wore them around the house with pjs for awhile.  Then, that afternoon, I took them on their first outing to have coffee with a very stylish friend of mine.  For the first public wearing, I wanted the rings to really contrast with the rest of my outfit, so I chose a more classic pattern (houndstooth) and springy pastels (pink and lilac).1 I rather liked the results.

1. Dress - ModCloth (remixed)
Cardi - Say What (remixed)
Tights - HUE (remixed)
Shoes - Fluevog (remixed)
Rings - Wendy Brandes

So, there I was at a coffee shop, just an intelligent, classy, well-educated woman who says f@#! a lot.  Nothing had changed except that I could let my hands do the talking for me.


I admit that I sometimes curse in the classroom.  I find that it shocks students back into paying attention, when used judiciously.  These days I tend to mostly use it in the classroom by finding a choice quote here and there that enable me to swear but attribute it to someone else.  Even so, I probably won't wear these to campus unless I am lecturing about cursing, swearing, piracy, or sailors....  It might be time to make a few changes to my syllabi....


What about you?  Are you an intelligent, classy, well-educated person who says f@#! a lot?  Do you tend to censor your language in the classroom, at work, in front of small children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger