tattoos

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Insnared with flowers, I fall on grass*

At the end of the term, I'm always more apt to wear floral patterns and pastel colors than I am in the first few weeks of the term when I'm establishing my authority in my classrooms.  Since one of the institutions I work at has recently sent out some emails and a survey about a seemingly growing lack of respect among the student population as evidenced through faculty complaints about students being more apt to interrupt faculty, interrupting each other, arriving to class late, and having the tendency to get up and leave to go to the restroom during class, etc., it just seems to me like my instincts are correct.  I haven't had particular problems with most of these issues.  However, since one of my classes was 80 minutes and the other 110 minutes, I realize that students might need to use the restroom.  I just ask that they get up and leave as noiselessly as possible when they do. 

That said, when I show up on campus to give a final exam1 or for a Friday meeting for a program that I'm involved in during the last week of classes, I'm all for florals with jeans or bright crazy floral patterned tights.2  The last week of the term is (for me) the time for anti-authoritarian florals.


 1. Shirt - New York & Co.
Tank - H&M (remixed)
Jeans - Express (remixed)
Boots - Fluevog Katrin (remixed)
Necklace - Etsy (remixed)

2. Dress - Target (remixed)
Cardi - H&M (remixed)
Tights - ModCloth (remixed)
Shoes - Kenzie Girl (remixed)
Necklace - Wendy Brandes (remixed)
Bag - Target

I actually got numerous compliments on the ModCloth tights while I was on campus.  Several strangers stopped me to tell me how fantastic they are, and a Dean also remarked that she loved them and told me that she had purple tights, but had never seen tights like these.  I told her about the wonders of ModCloth.

For those of you in the academy, have you noticed a particular increase in disrespectful behavior on the part of students?  For those of you who are students, do you engage in the behaviors I mentioned and why?  Do you dress any differently as the term winds down?

*Andrew Marvell, "The Garden"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger