tattoos

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Weekend Wear: Peacock Bag

A few years ago, my best amiga in the world and I were sitting in her flat in Madrid talking about all sorts of things.  Somehow or another she ended up showing me this bag1 that her mother had thrifted (I think in Puerto Rico) and had given to her.  I had a very strong reaction to it.  As I have told the lovely Jentine of myedit, sometimes I am confused by items of apparel or accessories that create such cognitive dissonance that I can't tell whether or not I love them or hate them.  This bag was one of those cases, and I just knew I had to have it.  My amiguita was less confused, and thus, she was more than willing to give it to me.

1. Peacock Bag - Gift (regifted and thrifted)

I thought it would make a great, quirky handbag.  I usually reserve it for the spring and summer months, but I decided that I would carry it when M. and I went to brunch on Super Bowl Sunday.  Of course, I ran into one of my former students at brunch, but she is also my neighbor, so my peacock bag did not surprise her....

Since Super Bowl Sunday is made for sitting on the couch and watching football with chips and dip, pizza, and beer, I knew my outfit2 needed to be about comfort.
2. Sweater - H&M 
Skinny Cords - New York & Co. (remixed)
Tank - NY & Co. (remixed)
Scarf - Gift (from Argentina)
Boots - SE Boutique (DSW and about five years old)

It was a good thing my outfit was comfy because some of the commercials had me squirming.  I have to say I wasn't very impressed with them this year.  Most weren't very funny, and several of them had a pretty vicious streak of misogyny running through them, particularly the Dodge and Dove ads.  It disheartens me that this seems to be where we are at in 2010.  My students informed me that they were underwhelmed by the ads, too.  However, we really didn't have much of a chance to talk about it much last night because they were intent on spending the last few minutes before class cramming for the quiz they had.

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  What did you wear?  What did you think about the commercials?  And what item in your closet is a little bit odd but completely worth celebrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger