tattoos

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Weekend Wear: Channeling My Inner Hello Kitty

I mentioned in my post yesterday that I spent a lot of time during my childhood up in trees and reading books in my favorite climbing tree.  I also spent a fair amount of time writing, and one of the first journals that I ever owned was a Hello Kitty diary.  I still remember my parents buying it for me when I was in first grade.  They only agreed to buy it if I promised that I would actually write in it daily.  I loved that diary to pieces, and I think that thanks to this little diary with its lined pages my love for Hello Kitty was born.  Although I keep my obsession under pretty tight control -- at least comparatively -- I do have some Hello Kitty items in my home today.  I have a Hello Kitty messenger bag, which I rarely use anymore because it is rather too small for my current laptop.  I have a Hello Kitty apron that I wear when I'm doing a lot of cooking.  I have Hello Kitty slippers, which were a gift from one of my Hello Kitty loving friends and which sadly Bailey defaced and slightly disfigured a few days after we brought her home from the shelter.  I have the Hello Kitty t-shirt that my mother recently gave me as a gift, and I have my Hello Kitty Punk galoshes that M. gave me for the holidays in 2008. 

Although sometimes I wear my galoshes when it's sloggy out to go to campus and teach my classes, for the most part, Hello Kitty style is relegated to the weekend.   A few weeks ago, Ann Underfunded and I went on a Saturday to see Sherlock Holmes and eat Mexican food.  Then I had a few wedding-related errands to take care of around town.  This outfit1 was great for a grey day that was just warm enough for the dirty snow to be melting away.   

 
1. Skinnies - Old Navy (remixed)
Shirt - SweaterWorks (remixed)
Cardi - Target (remixed)
Knee Highs - We Love Colors
Boots - Chooka (Gift and remixed)
Black beads - Thrifted (remixed)
Blue beads - Blanco (remixed)
Necklace - Etsy (gift and remixed)

This is definitely not my normal, daily style, and, for me, it's definitely not classroom attire because it's too casual, too youthful, and too colorful. Every now and then, though, it's fun to really press my style boundaries or to try a style that I don't consider my own.  Plus, sometimes I just have to let my love of Hello Kitty show.  Do any of you share my love of Hello Kitty? Have any cartoon characters or comic book characters influenced your style? 

What are you up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger