tattoos

Monday, February 22, 2010

Style Perceptions Interview: Dizzy Miss Lissy

Our style perceptions interview today is with Alyssa of Dizzy Miss Lissy.  Alyssa is a Creative Writing major at the University of Puget Sound, where she absolutely loves going to school.  She likes to think of herself as an artist, but feels that's a rather lofty term.  In her words she just loves "writing words, music, and painting, pictures." Her fashion blog is quite new - she started it in December of 2009.  Since she had been into blogging and reading other blogs for the past few years, Dizzy Miss Lissy, allowed her to combine her obsession with fashion, how much fun she has putting outfits together, and her passion for writing.  

So without further ado, let's see how Alyssa perceives the sartorial choices of her professors. 

What do you notice about what your professors/teachers are wearing?  Do you and your peers ever discuss the fashion choices of your professors?

Being a bit fashion-obsessed, I tend to notice every little thing about my professor's outfit! I notice whether or not the clothes fit right, which I feel is the absolute most important thing to start out with. Does it appear they've gained weight and are trying to fit into something too tight? Is that blouse they're wearing too clingy? Etc. I also always notice if there's a certain thing they consistently wear, such as an interesting necklace or a bracelet. I'm always curious of the significance! 
As to the second question--yes! My peers and I definitely discuss the fashion choices of our professors, but usually it's only if the professor is especially well-dressed or if they are needing a serious change in their wardrobe.

What kinds of attire do you think are appropriate for professors to wear when they're teaching? Is there anything that you really don't like to see your professors wearing?  How would you feel about a female professor wearing shorts over tights or a male professor wearing board shorts to teach in this winter/spring?

This is actually a rather hard question to answer. My mom is a teacher, and I've grown up with her occasionally complaining about how casual some teachers dress, as in jeans are not okay unless it's casual Friday! But I'm actually totally okay with professors showing up to class in a nice pair of jeans and more casual (but nice) attire. I think a good rule of thumb for professors to think about is: Would you be okay if the President of your school came into your class on any given day and saw what you were wearing?

Also, I really do not want to see any of my professors wearing clothing that is too revealing. Please, no tummies hanging out and no cleavage! But these things are obvious. However, something that is not so obvious... well, I hate to bring it up, but female teachers: Your students will always notice if... let's say... it's a bit cold out and your bra doesn't have enough padding!

I would definitely be okay with a female professor wearing a nicer pair of shorts over tights to class, but I do not think it's appropriate for a male professor to wear board shorts to class... unless of course you're on a field trip to the beach!

In what ways do the dress and style of your professors/teachers impact the way you respond to them?  Do you automatically respect an instructor more if s/he is well-dressed?  Does an instructor's attire make him/her more approachable/less approachable? 

In my experience, a professor can come to class dressed fairly casually in a nice pair of jeans or slacks and a sweater all semester and I can still have just as must respect for them as a professor that dressed in professional skirts and blouses all semester. It seems that a better-dressed professor would command more respect, but in my personal experience this has not been true! The way I respond to, how much I respect, and how approachable a professor is to me is dependent on their personality and teaching style.
 
How would you react if you discovered that a style blogger was your professor?

I would be really, really excited and would want to find their blog right away! I would also definitely want to talk to them about it, but would probably be shy to. :)

Thanks so much to Alyssa for participating in our style perceptions series!  If you haven't yet visited her blog, Dizzy Miss Lissy, I suggest you check it out right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger