tattoos

Monday, November 29, 2010

A Thankful Palette

Shakespeare's Masculine Ending, our friend Bee, and I hosted a Thanksgiving potluck at our place on Thursday. Last Tuesday there were 9 people who had replied positively to the Evite. By Wednesday evening, we knew we were expecting 16 people including ourselves. Among our guests was one young Welshman who looked at the table and exclaimed, "Oh my God! There's just so much food!" To which I replied, "Yeah...that's sorta the point." Unfortunately, the photo I took of the table didn't come out, but here's one of SME's first-ever turkey before it was roasted:

Thanksgiving also debuted my first pair of Hue tights, which I accidentally bought a size smaller than I normally would have (a 1 instead of a 2), but managed to squeeze into anyway:

1. Sweater - Moth/Anthro (remixed)
Skirt - H & M (remixed)
Tights - Hue
Shoes - Clarks
Plate - Whole Foods

Those plates were relatively expensive, but when I realized that there were going to be 16 of us and that we wouldn't be eating off of real plates, I sorta felt like I had to.

2. Earrings - Boutique in Lawrence, KS - gifted
Scarf - Eastern Market, DC - gifted

I think it might have been this apron that inspired me to stick with a gold/orange and blue palette:
3. Apron - Ikea

This is the first Thanksgiving that I neither traveled to see family nor hosted family. It meant that SME and I got three full days at home without work or school (we did a little bit, but really we took the time off). We do take vacation, obviously, but I can't remember a time when we just were able to be at home without any obligations. It's totally thrown off our sleep schedule, but I was really grateful for it.

Speaking of grateful, towards the end of the evening on Thanksgiving, when most of us were in the kitchen throwing things out, gathering the wine and beer bottles for recycling, and putting all of the food in tupperware my friend T. said, in all earnestness, "we didn't really say what we were thankful for." We all looked at him and he looked back and asked, "What are you thankful for?" And then we went around the kitchen and said what we were thankful for. It wasn't cheesy. And it made me incredibly thankful for something else: that I have friends who have an ability to express thanksgiving without irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger