tattoos

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

13/30: Substitutions and Other Infractions

As I mentioned a few days ago, when I began the 30x30 the unseasonably warm weather had lulled me into a false sense of security.  While I was in San Antonio the temperature dropped significantly, it snowed, and has continued to be cold, misty, icy, and more wintry precipitation is on its way this week.  I decided to sub in a few warmer items for items that I had not yet worn.

Substitution 1. Turquoise 90 WPM Dress - Shabby Apple Black Pants - New York & Co.
Substitution 2. Grey Dress - Target - Melon Ruffle Cardi - New York & Co.
Substitution 3. Purple Moccasins - Me Too Duck Boots - Ugg
30x30 Items: Sub 1. Black Pants - New York & Co. + 15. White Button Down - Zoe D. + Sub 2. Melon Ruffle Cardi - New York & Co. + 30. Grey Slouchy Boots - Steve Madden
I wore this outfit last week.  This is about as casual as I go in the classroom these days, and unfortunately, the fact that several of my students had done the day's reading - a whopping six pages - reminded me of why that is.  As A-Dubs and Rad have both mentioned, this is the part of the term when students tend to be the most burnt out, stressed out, and the most likely to engage in disruptive or inconsiderate behavior.  While some students might not consider failing to have done the reading particularly disruptive, when a third of the class is absent and/or hasn't done the reading, it does not create an environment conducive to productive discussion and learning.  And in my classroom that often leads to a quiz.

How do you deal with this part of the semester when motivation is low and burn out is high (for students and faculty alike)? American academics, are you looking forward to this Thanksgiving break as much as I am?  Have any of you who are doing 30x30 swapped out items because of the weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger