tattoos

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Pantomime Time of Year


1. Sweater Dress - Viola/Anthro
Tights - Accessorize
Boots - Ann Taylor Loft (remixed)
Scarf - Lithe/Anthro [sash to dress]
Earrings - Corcoran Gallery, DC (remixed)

I wore this dress to a conference this past weekend (which was fantastic!). Before the conference I had only worn it one other time this fall and that was to see a play. I usually don't repeat outfits so close together, but I had a hard time figuring out what to wear for the first really cold day yesterday (and the last day I taught before Thanksgiving) so I listened to the advice of the Devil Wearing Anthro and repeated.

This dress, by far, is one of my favorite pieces of clothing. It's essentially a large, soft black sweater, but it tends to look very formal so I usually add funkier, more playful accessories to it. I repeated it yesterday to teach and paired it with what I call my "King of Hearts tights."
I bought these tights at Accessorize years ago and they have held up better than most pairs of leggings or yoga pants do. They bring back not only memories of the time I spent in England, but they also remind me of the time my college boyfriend borrowed them to play The King of Hearts in a Christmas pantomime. He wore them, a t-shirt, and a large cardboard playing card for the part. Luckily, college boyfriend is now Shakespeare's Masculine Ending so we had a good laugh while I was getting dressed yesterday and I reminded him where the tights came from and that he had worn them before.

And there's another secret nerd touch to this outfit: the sash that I'm wearing as a hair scarf has early modern English print flourishes all over it. In fact, it's the same flourish EEBO uses (scroll your mouse over the menu on the left) to indicate a link.

I've got to get back to making cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and Thomas Kelleher's bread pudding for tomorrow because the turkey gets the oven for the entire morning, but before I do I was wondering what your favorite secret nerd piece is?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger