tattoos

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Work Spaces: Libraries and Archives

As academics (certainly as humanists) we're likely to spent a fair amount of time working in libraries and/or archives. If you're like me, when you walk into your local campus library you don't think much about what you're wearing. On the other hand, going to an unfamiliar library or archive is another question. In these cases, I tend to err on the side of button-ups and slacks in subdued tones in order to scope things out on the first day. Most of the time this strategy works well, but every now and then it backfires, leaving me feeling overdressed and out of place. Case in point--last year I visited the New York Public Library for the first time in order to view some documents from its special collections library. The morning of my first day I put on my favorite black-with-pin-stripes button-up and light gray slacks (yup, conservative) both from Express with a gray pea coat. Once in the library I realized that the prevalent dress codes fluctuated from trashy tourist to hipster chic (complete with mandatory macbook and earphones). So the next day I opted for jeans and a polo. What are your strategies for first-day dress at an unfamiliar library or archive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger