tattoos

Friday, May 28, 2010

Yellow With a Pop of Neutrals

Since the semester is over at SLAC and I'm not teaching this quarter at R1 institution, most of my days are now spent working from home.  Although there are occasional days when I get into a good work rhythm while drinking my second cup of coffee on the couch and decide to stay in my pjs most or all of the day, most days I find it helpful to workout, take a shower, and get dressed.  Like Herr Doktor, I find getting dressed for work a useful way of setting boundaries when writing at home.  The other reason to get dressed here lately is that I've also had a fair number of friend defending their dissertations, which means going out to get a celebratory beer or dinner (even though I usually can't stay out too late) with them.  I wore this outfit1 a few days ago to spend the day working at my writing desk and a few hours in the evening celebrating the successful defense of a friend and colleague in my department.

 1. Dress - Signature by Robbie Bee (remixed)
Belt - NY & Co (remixed)
Socks - Target
Scarf - ??? (thrifted and remixed)
Shoes - Mia (remixed)

I love wearing outfits that are largely neutral with just a few pops of color.  However, that day I decided to flip the paradigm and wear a big solid block of color with some pops of neutrals.  The scarf is brown and grey so I added a grey belt and socks and brown shoes.  I have to admit that although I rather like the style of visible socks with cute shoes or even sandals that is trendy right now, that day I was wearing socks purely for practicality, as I had a couple of painful blisters and, even with band-aids on, I wanted an extra layer between them and my shoes.

I have to submit my dissertation to my committee members and the grad school for formatting approval early next week, so I'll be spending most of the weekend finishing up final revisions before my defense.  I do have a wedding reception to go to on Saturday evening, though, so that will give me a chance to get dressed up, to get out of the house, and to see some good friends.  What are you up to this weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger