tattoos

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Embracing My Waves

Yesterday, I went on my last long commute of the semester to small liberal arts college to have lunch with a colleague, to pick up my students' final papers, and to clean out my office there (tear).  I dressed for both an unseasonably chilly, rainy day and to accent two of my other five favorite things about my body: my hair and my eyes.  Like one of our Guest Lecturers, Nicole, I love my hair!  Since green always brings out the green in my hazel eyes and since green looks fantastic on redheads, I went with a monochromatic look in that hue.

1. Dress - Shabby Apple (Gift and remixed)
Card - New York & Co. (remixed)
Boots - Fluevog (remixed)

A couple of years ago I made a very foolish hair decision.  I got a Japanese thermal straightening perm, which reacted poorly with older highlights in my hair.  My hair was pretty damaged, and I spent the next year getting damage cut out little by little.  It's only been in the past year that my hair has regained a lot of its pre-perm health, and as part of my hair care regimen, I've stopped using my hair dryer and flat iron all the time.  Since last summer, I've also been washing my hair every other day at most and using Aveda products (Be Curly, Madder Root, and Color Conserve).*  With my new cut, I do like the sleek look that straightening my hair with a flat iron provides, but I want to continue to embrace my natural waves at least two or three days a week. 

Now, I have to admit that my natural hair color is not red - it's a dark brown verging on black.  I love having dark brunette hair, but I also really love dark red with coppery highlights for the warmer, sunnier months.


I've always loved my eyes, but they have never photographed well with a point and click type of camera (especially with flash).  The light gold in my hazel (a mix of green and gold) tends to reflect and give me what I call the terminator eye in a good 50% of the photos that I take.  The red eye correction tends to just make my eyes look like they are dark brown/black which they are not, so I'll just have to wait for the day that I can afford better photo editing software.

Here's hoping that I can turn that terminator eye to my students' final papers and analyze and assess their content and quality quickly!

Have you ever colored your hair or had a permanent (spiral perms in the 80s only get half-credit here)?  How did you feel about the results? 


*Please note that I use and admire Aveda products independently and was not compensated in anyway for mentioning them in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger