tattoos

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Work Spaces: BNE Sala Cervantes

I'm excited to introduce a new series here at Fashionable Academics today!  Since all five of us bloggers are academics who do a fair amount of research and writing in addition to getting dressed, we thought it would be fun to show you some of our work spaces in a series of posts over the next few weeks.

I'm kicking off this series today with one of my favorite workspaces during the year and a half I spent living in Madrid: the Sala Cervantes of the Biblioteca Nacional (National Library) of Spain.

Sala Cervantes

While the majority of my research for my dissertation project took place in other archives, I did have occasion to visit the magnificent Biblioteca Nacional pretty frequently, either to use the Sala Cervantes, which houses the library's older manuscripts or to use the Sala General to read monographs, some rare books, and to do a fair bit of writing.  The Sala Cervantes is quiet and peaceful and well-lighted for manuscript reading, and, while it occasionally got pretty crowded, most of the time I found it to be relatively empty of researchers, which allowed me plenty of elbow room to read seventeenth-century documents and type up notes on my laptop.

Do you work better in a beautiful environment or does comfort trump aesthetics in your favorite places to work or read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger