tattoos

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dress my best



I really like participating in this event. When LHdM asked me what feature I would dress for I knew exactly what it would be….my hair. I love my hair. It’s healthy. It’s the most awesome natural color. (I’ve got great natural highlights going on up top). I love my blonde/brown locks against blues and purples.

On Tuesday I dressed for my best. I wore a cornflower blue v-neck sweater and some blue jeans to show off my lovely locks.

Color has always been important to me, it even has inspired my dissertation (I research photophysics and pretty much have had a graduate career looking at fun colors). This quarter, I am teaching a chemistry lab. This quarter we are taking the traditional dreaded chemistry lab and turning it on its head. My students are being plunged head first into what it means to be a research scientist. We are working in a program for undergraduates to design new metal pigments to be used in paints. They have explored the history and methods of making paint pigments. We’ve spent three weeks talking about what metals/ligands can cause different colors. Now that they are equipped with the tools they need, I’ve divided them into teams. Each team has been assigned a target color to design a new non-toxi

c pigment! Some teams are working on new purple pigments, some on red pigments, and some on new blue pigments. I had one student that got so excited. She came up to me and said she was going to work on making a pigment to match my shirt. How exciting! By dressing my best my student now is working on the most gorgeous of blue pigment. And it got me thinking, have any of you ever used your style or what you were currently wearing as a visual aid?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger