tattoos

Friday, October 30, 2009

Casual Friday: Jeans, Boots, Long Sweater

I thought that yesterday was going to be a glorious day. After a bizarre mishap which caused my order to be canceled, I was finally set to get my new John Fluevog Bondgirl boots. (They were my reward for running the marathon and finishing a draft of the last chapter of my dissertation.) However, my euphoria had faded by the time the UPS delivery person had made it to his next stop. My boots were too tight to zip up all the way over my calves. I knew that Fluevog boots could run tight, so I had ordered a half size larger than I normally wear in order to get some extra calf-circumference. Because of this and the fact that I have a couple of other pairs that fit my calves, I never doubted that these would work. I was so frustrated that I left them sitting on the dining room table and went back to work on cover letters and class prep all afternoon with a really terrible attitude. I knew the situation could be rectified, but after weeks of work and then weeks of waiting, I was pissed. I wanted my reward and I wanted to wear it right then and there.

It does make me angry that so many women have such a hard time finding boots that fit their calves. I wish designers would ruminate a little bit more on the fact that the most purchased clothing size for women in the US is a size 14 and make more clothing and boots that fit accordingly. The fashion industry should also send more diverse body types down the runway. I could go on and on about this, but I think I'll save it for another post.

At any rate, I had been hoping that I would be able to wear the new Bondgirl boots for the first time today, but since I had a morning meeting and a class to teach, I knew I wouldn't be able to drop them off with my shoe repair guys until the afternoon. And I know that it doesn't do much good to dwell on anger. Taking action is always better (at least for me). I had to make do with the selection of boots I already have. This morning the weather did not look terribly auspicious, so I felt like jeans, boots, and layers were my best option. I went with my cowboy boots, dark denim, a yellow top, and a long sweater.



It was a casual outfit for a casual Friday right before Halloween. The day ended up brightening up a lot and being deliciously warm for the end of October. I would have taken my class outside, but it was just too windy. Before class, my students and I talked about our costume plans, and I brought candy to make the day a little bit more festive. Despite, or perhaps because of, the sugar rush, my students were even more on the ball than they usually are. (This is saying something because this particular class is small and made up of quite motivated and invested students.) It was the kind of day that gives you a teaching high.

Because of the class and the weather, my so-called work week ended perfectly. I dropped my shoes off for repair, and I was delighted that my cobbler said that my boots would be ready for pick up within a few days. I have plans this weekend for article revisions, grading, a couple of Halloween parties, and a massage at a spa (a post-marathon gift from my fiance).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger