tattoos

Friday, October 2, 2009

Casual Friday: Jeans, Boots, Jacket

Unbeknownst to me when I got dressed this morning, a colleague had decided that today he was going to come observe my class in order to write me a letter of recommendation for the job market. Had I known he would have been coming today instead of one day next week, I'm not sure I would have dressed any differently. The weather was sloggy and gross this morning calling for boots. It was also rather chilly, calling for either pants or tights. Since I have not yet had the opportunity to go through my tights and hose from last winter yet to see which pairs have gaping holes and runs in them, it was going to be pants. I decided to go for a play on a look that I find to be very scholarly and sophisticated: jeans, boots, blouse, and blazer. To my mind, it's sort of the equivalent of the academic power suit. Neither of my blazers seemed quite suitable for the day, so I got out this little jacket that I bought ages ago and have rarely worn the past couple of years.

When I later checked my email and saw that I was going to be observed, I did briefly contemplate changing. I don't teach in jeans very often, but I thought that this outfit also didn't give the impression of trying too hard. I also had a meeting with a student scheduled, and I didn't want to be late for it. So I walked out the door feeling confident that I looked casual but like a fashionable academic. Do you dress differently from your normal style when you know you're going to be observed by colleagues or advisors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger