tattoos

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Chronic-What-cle of Higher Ed

I am mad, readers.  I am hoppin' mad.  I've tried to let this go, but I can't.

The other day I read this article in The Chronicle of Higher Education about how hotness is a liability for faculty members.  While I think the article at least begins to explore some of the gendered differences at play in how being hot impacts the professional lives in and out of the classroom for those professors considered hot, it doesn't address race, region, socioeconomic background of faculty or student bodies.  It also doesn't interrogate whether or not national cultures are at play. 

Sartorial choices do eventually factor into the article, and in an appalling statement, which I dearly hope was taken out of context by the Chronic-What-cle, one of the hot profs said, "[i]t's time for academics to step up their game and look the part. Put on heels and a suit and take your training to the world."  While I can understand why many of those who commented on this article took umbrage with this statement - I will wear heels when and where I want to and I chose academia in part so that I would have the freedom to teach in jeans if I so desired but mainly because I fucking love research and teaching - the comments demonstrate that many academics still consider those who invest in a personal style to be lightweights.

I am pissed off!  I don't give a flying fig if someone teaches in shorts or track pants.  They need to stop giving a shit if I do it in Fluevogs and a dress! Speaking of which, I'm off to get ready for my first day of classes this semester, and you can bet I'm going to wear something that makes me feel fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger