tattoos

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Emergency Dress

This has been My Year of Conferences. I usually manage to look professional in the cold-weather months, but many of my dresses are too summery to wear behind a podium. Enter a wonderful mentor and her closet.


My mentor tracked me down half an hour before I left for the conference and asked what I planned to wear. I had two options: a green racer-back dress or a dressy top and jeans. Both were politely vetoed and she told me she'd go shopping with me once we arrived at the conference.



Once there, however, she told me she'd run home and searched for outfits I'd look good in. I tried the above dress on and she told me it was perfect: flattering *and* with sleeves and a more professional-looking back. I love this dress. As I told LHdM, it reminds me of a Baz Luhrmann Romeo and Juliet-style outfit, particularly the heart caught in the folds. At the conference, another attendee said she remembered the last time my mentor had worn it.

My mentor attended the panel and told me later that the dress was mine to keep! I then hinted that the temperature was dropping and she had a wonderful sweater, but that was pushing my luck.

I did also have to borrow a coat and a scarf from some kind lunch companions since it started snowing. In April. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I appreciate all of the academics who helped dress AUH.

And below: a wonderful book and the two Kerin Rose rings I always wear. One is an adinkra ring with the sun and star symbol and the other is a dragonfly. These are the most comfortable rings I own and I love the contrast between the narrow and thick bands. Do you wear the same pieces of jewelry often? Has anyone ever helped dress you at a conference?
Dress: Elana Kattan
Watch: Nixon
Rings: Kerin Rose
Shoes: Naturalizer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger