tattoos

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On Boots and Hair Issues

After a month of yearning for cooler weather so that I could change out my wardrobe, I almost regretted my wish due to the windy chill of the past couple of days. Then I remembered something: John Fluevog Boots!! I wore a pair of mine today. I bought these boots for myself as a reward for finishing a dissertation chapter last January. They are one of the best gifts that I've ever given myself. They are both sturdy and chic and quite versatile. Today I paired them with a BCBG dress that I bought last year for a conference and my burnt orange trench coat that I picked up five years ago at Filene's Basement. I have long since lost the accompanying belt, but I still adore the coat so much that I have no plans of buying another trench coat until it comes apart at the seams or I get tenure.

I wore my hair in loose waves. I've been trying to get over my obsession with having straight hair. My hair is neither straight nor curly. It tends toward a wavy frizz when left to its own devices. In July of last year I decided to get one of those Japanese thermal straightening perms so that my hair would just magically air dry straight. It did, but it also damaged my hair where it had been highlighted in the past. It was a major setback in my quest to have long hair again because I had to spend the next nine months getting the damage cut out of my hair a bit at a time. Now my hair is finally growing again more or less damage-free. Of course, almost all of the permed bits of my hair have also been cut off, and I'm back to having wavy frizz. Instead of going out and spending close to $500 on another Japanese thermal straightening perm or using a flat iron every single day, I've been trying to accept what I've got and make it work. Last week I invested $30 in a hot air styler with a couple of different attachments and have been playing around with it. Today's results were pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger