tattoos

Monday, September 14, 2009

Color Phobias Part II

This weekend I decided to take conquering my fear of the color yellow one step farther.  I gave myself a challenge.  With a budget of $10, I decided to find one piece of yellow clothing and determined that I would wear what I found to teach in on Monday.  My thinking was that even if I despised said piece of clothing, I could wear it once and then maybe do a clothing swap and call it even.  After striking out at my local trend not-so-thrifty thrift store, my local Goodwill and Target, I decided to give TJMaxx a try.  There I came across a spectacular find, a yellow, sleeveless, ruffled blouse on clearance for $7.00.  I normally don't wear sleeveless blouses to teach in, but if Michelle Obama can wear sleeveless and rock it to a session of Congress.... I also don't normally wear yellow, so I figured why not just go all out and play with a kind of look that's not my normal one?  I decided to go for something of a bumblebee or tiger ensemble, pairing the yellow blouse with a black pencil skirt, black flats, and yellow and gold earrings.  I also had on a black necklace and a yellow barrette, but then decided that was a little bit too much, so I scrapped those two accessories. I did wear my hair wavy instead of my usual flat-ironed hair or ponytail.  You can judge the results for yourself.

I'm still not sure that I look as good in yellow as I do in many other colors, and I doubt that yellow will ever become a prominent color in my wardrobe.  However, I no longer fear it the way that I did.  In fact, I will also admit that I purchased a second, yellow shirt at TJMaxx that day.  It was also on clearance and under $10 (ok, so I bent the rules a little bit).  The other shirt is a bit more casual and will hopefully help pull me through any of the lingering vestiges of doubt about my ability to wear yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger