tattoos

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Just because you are louder... doesn't mean you are right!!!


I am a member of the Board of Directors of one of the local financial institutions here in my community. This weekend was our annual planning conference where we as a board along with the Sr. Management staff map out the year as well as tweak our 3 year long term goals.

We are a diverse group and I will tell you now I am the youngest on this board. Our meetings and discussions are usual spirited, that's to say they aren't ill willed but we have no problem making out points and debating issues. This weekend was a little different, for the most part I am in agreement with the majority when issues are presented to me. However in one of our sessions I was not in agreement and while my vote of "nay" would not have changed the outcome of said vote another person on the board felt compelled to push me as to why I voted the way I did, I explained my position and we debated but within a blink of an eye this person interrupted me mid sentence and was very loud about it. . I stayed clam, finished my point only to again have this person in yet a louder voice argue that I was wrong.

Now I was always taught to respect my elders weather you are 2 years or 20 years older then me I abide by that rule, it's called respect. However I had finally had enough and simply said "just because you are louder and more animated doesn't not make you right and further you already have the votes you need for this item, I simply want to go on record as to my thoughts." You could have heard pin drop. We eventually wrapped up the meeting that evening and headed to dinner. However I couldn't help feeling that this person was upset that I had the audacity to speak up and worse stand up to them. It was an eye opening experience for me and one I will be sure to pass on to my kids, stand up for what you believe in but do it with respect and dignity

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger