tattoos

Monday, February 28, 2011

GAADfly - Two Month Check In

February has been a blur of research talks, travel, class prep, and grading.  The month flew by, and, as in January, I had essentially no time to even think about shopping - except for maybe at an airport.  (I did indulge in a new lipstick from Body Shop during one lengthy layover.)  The only real moment of temptation came when I visited Shabby Apple to pick out which dress we should giveaway to one of our readers.  (Don't forget to enter!)  I put one of their dresses on my birthday wishlist, but all the other items I'm hoping I'll get for my birthday are reading, writing, or travel related.

Right now not shopping for clothes, shoes, or accessories seems a lot easier than I expected it to.  Sure, there are moments when I want to shop - because I'm bored, tired, stressed, cranky.  But then I just go look at my closet and dresser crammed full of clothes, even with a laundry hamper overflowing with dirty clothes sitting in my spacious closet and a basket full of laundered, clean clothes waiting to be folded next to my bed, and I know without a doubt that I do not need to shop right now.  I know that, in terms of wardrobe, I have everything that I need right now, and most of what I want.

It doesn't hurt that I am still working my way through un(der)utilized items in my closet, such as this pair of shorts that I purchased at H&M back in November.1  Saturday marked the second time that I'd worn them and the first time they were documented for the blog.  While I still think shorts + tights is a little trendier and more youthful than I want to go for the classroom or even for office hours, I love the look for a Saturday of grading, running errands, including getting my hair cut, and taking my spouse out for a birthday dinner.
 1. Shorts - H&M, Tank and Cardi - New York & Co. (both remixed), Tights - We Love Colors (remixed), Boots - John Fluevog Bondgirls (remixed)
I do anticipate that March might be a little bit harder.  I have fewer professional spring clothes.  My birthday is March, and I usually spend the entire day shopping.  Hypothetically, I will also be quite busy, but not working at the breakneck pace I've had to maintain for the first two months of 2011.  How have you established new and different habits in the past?  What have you done to reward yourself when you're trying to get away from a system of material rewards?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger