tattoos

Thursday, September 11, 2008

My memories of 9/11

Growing up I remember adults around me talking about the assassination of President Kennedy, recalling where they were, who they were with, and the days that followed. In my late teens I remember thinking man I hope I never have an event like that happen in my life.

Fast forward to September 11th 2001, I was still a newlywed of sorts and we were expecting our first child. On that morning I remember having morning sickness (I was only 3 months along) and thinking I would go into work a little bit later. I am glad I didn't because I would been on the road about the same time that the plane went into the Pentagon and it is something I don't think I could have bared to witness. Instead I went to work at my regualr time and spoke to my husband who at the time was working day shift at the watch center of the Pentagon. This center houses all branches of military and monitors all events globally. I spoke to him just after the first plane hit the Towers, while on the phone with him the second hit and he quickly said "I love you but I have to go, this looks really bad and I may need to stay late." Typical of my devoted Army husband. I can't recall the amount of time that passed from that call to the call I received from my mom.

I was at my desk, reading CNN and other news web pages for information of the tragedy in NY when my phone rang, it was my mom. She said to me "I don't want to alarm you but I just saw a report that a plane has hit the pentagon." My heart sank, I felt ill and not due to morning sickness. I all but hung up with my mom and frantically dialed the Army watch desk at the Pentagon, the line was ringing busy, not that someone is on the phone busy, busy as in the phones were down. I tried his cell nothing, again I called the watch nothing. The knot in my stomach as growing by the minute. My phone at work started to ring off the hook with family and friends asking if Dan was alright and I was unable to to say yes or no. I quickly shooed them off to keep the line clear for him to call and tell me he was fine. I waited an hour and 27 minutes for that call. The call was brief, he said he was fine but going back into the Pentagon to do his job, saying things were bad and he had to help. He told me he was not sure when he would be home and that he would be in touch as soon as he could. I hung up the phone weeping, sick to my stomach but elated that he was OK.

I drove home from downtown DC and the image of passing the Pentagon from a distance with smoke billowing high into the sky and thousands of people walking home is still seared in my mind. I sat intently watching the news coverage witnessing the Towers fall over and over. It wasn't until 11pm that night Dan walked in the door smelling of smoke and diesel fuel, that smell is forever etched in my memory.

Dan and both knew people in DC and NY who were not able to make that call home to say they were fine. We were deeply effected as was every American that day. So while I never thought I would have an event in my life that would hold such vivid detail as the adults around me use to talk about, I do and I wish I didn't.
Please take a minute today to remember those who lost their lives and the families that have had to continue on. Also say a prayer for our troops, whether they are home or abroad they are fighting for us and our freedoms and doing their best to keep us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger