tattoos

Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm sorry what did you say??????


** Warning this a long rambling rant

Remember I said I would have a post about arrogance, well here it is.

So those of you who have followed my blog for a while will remember that I was in the process of getting approval to launch a new division of my company, that approval was granted and I have been busy ever since coming up with detailed planning documents and a ton of other stuff I won't bore you with.

So about 2 months ago someone got the bright idea to hire and actuary to help me build a portion of this business, I protested saying I didn't see the need as the work to be done was limited and after Jan. I would not have work to support a full time employee, no need in hiring someone just to fire them 6 months later. Hence I was working with a consultant instead of hiring a full time person. However the powers that be and someone who wants to be king of the kingdom, decided he wanted an new prince. Enter Sam (not his real name), I interviewed Sam for about 30 mins, what can you really tell in 30 mins? Nothing!!! Keep in mind he is not my direct hire and he was only going to be of value to me till Jan. hence the need for only 30 mins. So Sam is hired and started about 3 1/2 weeks ago. On the first day he was arrogant and or as some of us thought just socially inept. On day 4 he asked me for a prefered time to meet to discuss things since he was told I was the key player on most items he was to be working on. I said sure, anytime but Tuesday afternoons as I have a busy Tuesday mornings and I need the afternoons to catch up. Well, the very next day he scheduled a meeting for the very time I asked him not to. When I asked him if it was a mistake he replied "No." I then asked if he recalled our conversation about times to schedule the meeting and he replied "Yes, but I outrank you so I set it up when it was convenient for me."

Ladies (and men if you are reading) it took everything I had not to grab him by the balls tie his manhood in a knot and hurl him out the window. Who the hell did he think he was? While his title is AVP and mine is Director, we are not in the same reporting structure and as a matter of fact I am awaiting board approval for the same title, not that he has anyway of knowing that on day 5! I informed him I indeed would not be at his meeting and marched into the SrVP office and told him that I expected a full apologize and who the hell did he think he was telling me he outranked me! The Sr. VP assured me that he would smooth things over and not only speak to Sam but Sam's boss as well. The next day Sam begrudgingly apologized (if you can call it that) and rescheduled the meeting. Fast forward to last Friday, which I have determined is the day he likes to stir things up. Sam is speaking with my compliance officer (CO) and asked who is in charge of my division, CO replies, Stephanie is. Sam says "No, I mean who has the final say about that division", again CO says Stephanie. Sam says, "I really I don't see her as a peer." CO replies "Well if I were you I would show her some deference because she has final say on the division and she has no hesitation picking up the phone and calling the CEO to get what she needs done." Yahoo!!!! for CO, I think I owe him dinner.

Bottom line this guy is a pain in my ass and will try to undermine me at every turn. He clearly has a problem with women or is just super stuck on titles. I have 10 years to his 3 weeks and I am a hell of a lot more connected then he is, so I am trying to figure out how long he will last because I am not the only one he has shown his arrogant side to, he has pissed just about everyone he has come in contact off. So my over under on his tenure is 8 months. :)

Let me know your thoughts on how you would handle my new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger