tattoos

Friday, May 8, 2009

Why I hate Mothers Day!

I thought I would have the baby name post ready to go but I don't, instead I am going to do a very controversial post about Mothers Day.

I hate Mothers Day... now while you are scratching your head wondering why let me give you a little background. I love my kids and I love being a mom. I love my mothers days with them. However before I had my kids and after I got married I had a huge run in with my mom on Mother's day. It has set the tone for every Mothers day with her since.

See I was to go to my moms house for Mothers Day one year however I called to say I would be there an hour later than planned because I was planning to go to church. My mother lost it on me ,telling me not to bother and that she expected me there at the time I committed to. What ensued was a day full of angry phone calls and tears. I didn't go to my mom's house at all that day because I was angry at her for taking off on me and telling me to "not bother". In truth all I did was follow her direction. I am not proud of that fight and I have since grown up and learned to take a lot of what my mother says with a gain of salt. However, my mom has not let that go and further I don't think she gets that I too am a mother and now want to spend time with my family to celebrate my day as well.

She has said more than once since that day "don't do anything for Mothers day because it means nothing to me, you ruined it for me years ago." So with each upcoming Mothers Day I dread the holiday. I do send flowers and I make an attempt to include her in plans but it never feels right and somehow always turns out bad. This year is no exception.

My children have soccer games on Saturday, my mother though in the area, has never asked for a schedule or bothered to find out when they are playing yet has said that she is never invited. So with both the kids having games about an hour apart this weekend. I thought I would invite her to the games (burns me that I need to extend a personal invite) after the games I thought I could take her to lunch and give her the gift I had gotten her. So on Wednesday I asked did you get my email last week about the soccer games? Are you planning to come?. She responded with a tad of attitude and said "if the weather is bad I am not coming." To which I responded if it is bad the kids won't play. She went on to say "Well, even if it is drizzling I am not going, I am trying to get over a cold and don't need to get sick again we will have to see." Again I am crushed because I have tried and yet again failed. I can never win when it comes to time with my mom. So short story very long (sorry) I have learned to hate Mothers Day at least as it pertains to my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger