tattoos

Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools' Day FBFF

This week's questions are about blogger etiquette and the rules of engagement.  For more Friend Friday fun, pop over to Modly Chic.

1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?
Well, typically our guest posts have been in response to a request for a particular kind of post or have been the result of swapping posts with someone.  I would say that for the most part you shouldn't try to solicit a guest post from a blogger on the blog of someone who you don't have much of a relationship or connection with.  It just seems like poor form to ask to write a guest post for a blog that you don't regularly read or comment on.

2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?
Well, I comment on a lot of blogs over the course of a given week.  Some blogs I visit daily because I have developed a strong connection with their authors over the course of the past year or so.  Some I visit once or twice a week.  I actually read the content of the post, and I usually try to respond to the questions asked in the post or to say something more than "cute shoes." I know people have different opinions about this, but I usually don't provide a link to my blog because I feel like some might interpret it as pushy, and I don't ever say in my comments "follow me" or "love your blog, follow me back."

3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?
I don't send mass emails as a general rule.

4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?
Hmmm.  I occasionally ask other bloggers to participate in events (CFPs etc) we are having here at Fashionable Academics.  I comment on blogs and will sometimes name drop, but, while I love that we have readers and people who comment regularly, I try to keep in mind that this is a hobby for me.  Ultimately, this blog doesn't need "exposure."  I'm not in this for fame or sponsorship or the ability to quit my job and earn a living by blogging.

5. What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you remedied that?
During my first couple of months of blogging, I think I probably wasn't as tactful as I could have been in some of my comments and in the way I approached other bloggers.  As with everything, there is a learning curve.

Happy April Fools' Day!  Hopefully none of your pranks go awry.  My back is still playing tricks on me, so I've been rocking a heating pad as an accessory all week.  Hopefully, things will be completely back to normal soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger