tattoos

Thursday, July 7, 2011

my 3 icons

         As a child there were three characters that I absolutely loved and all for different reasons.  The first icon was Wonder Woman, the second was Betty Boop and the third was Popeye.  I loved Wonder Woman because she was the first female super hero that I can remember.  I loved Betty Boop because she had a sense of sexuality, feminity and mysteriousness about herself.  And I loved Popeye because he was just cool.

      
            The first icon that I am selecting is Wonder Woman.  I chose Wonder Woman because as a child I always saw male super heroes and when Wonder Woman surfaced I was ecstatic.  For the first time that I could remember a woman was on television that was capable of doing all of the same things that men had been doing forever.  She could fight villains and win, she had super powers; but most importantly, she still dressed like a female and she was portrayed as a very sexy lady.  I and all of my friends wanted to be the next “Wonder Woman” when we grew up.

            The second icon that I chose was Betty Boop.  Betty Boop was a quite big headed brunette who was very sassy.  She had a very feminine body and dressed somewhat seductively.  She had the guys fighting over her and she sang and danced.  I used to watch this cartoon with my grandfather and I looked forward to that time that I spent with him watching Betty Boop.  I guess in a way I sort of wanted to be like her as well when I grew up.

            The third icon that I chose was Popeye the Sailor.  Popeye was one of the coolest cartoon characters that I can remember.  He encouraged kids to “eat their spinach so they could grow up to be big and strong like him”.  He also fought for what was right.  He was always fighting with Brutus over Olive Oyl who was as big as a green bean but it was still funny to watch.  I remember watching Brutus bullying and beating up on Popeye and then Popeye would miraculously find a can of spinach pop the lid open by squeezing the can with his bare hands and dump the entire can of spinach into his mouth.  Then just like that he would grow muscles the size of Mount Rushmore and proceed to beat up Brutus and save Olive Oyl.  Just what every girl wants someone to rescue them.



          

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger