tattoos

Monday, December 1, 2008

I survived Thanksgiving

...........not only did I survive it I actually enjoyed it. As I have blogged about before when I was growing up Thanksgiving was just me and my mom and in my eyes it was really no different then any other day except I was required to dress nicely and there was a a lot more food on the table. I always wanted to have a Thanksgiving where there was a ton of family, a dash of fun, and a pinch of typical Thanksgiving irritability. Well, I finally experienced it and I liked it.

It started with our 8 hour drive to NY, I work in Silver Spring MD just outside Washington DC proper, on a good day it takes about 45 mins to get to Baltimore from there Tuesday night on our way to NY it took us an hour and a half! Whihc ment we still have 5 more hours to go! My hubby was great and drove half way before getting tired and needed to put his foot up. I took over just in time for the snow to start falling and visibility to decrease rapidly. I forged on with 2 kids asleep and a hubby that was about to get carsick from sitting in the "way back" of the sequoia, while I was doing 70 miles per hour.

We arrived at 12 midnight, of course by that time my 4 year old had peed himself so I had to shuttle him in first (Nana took care of his wet clothes) then help hubby and Lauren well she was bright eyed and wide awake so she skipped into Nana and Pop pop's with no assistance. I then had to shuttle the bags from the car along with all our other crap. After about 45 mins of small talk it was off to bed for all us.

Wednesday morning I got up and decided I would go for a run in the fresh country air. It was 25 degrees and spitting snow but I powered on. I however forgot that they live in a hilly area so as I huffed and puffed my way up hill I made a mental note not to run this route again. Wednesday also brought my SIL and BIL and their kids, so if you are keeping track we now have 4 kids ranging in age from 3 to 6, and 6 adults. Quarters were a little tight but hey is was family it was all good.

Then came Thursday and another run for me. When I got back I stayed away from the kitchen hopefully I was not talked about. See I don't like having people in my kitchen when I am cooking... actually I don't like to have other people help me when I am cooking, you can sit in the kitchen all day long. It's something about bumping into each other and not knowing where stuff is that bothers me. So I chose to hang back, I did however help clean up after every meal so I wasn't a total slacker.

1:30 pm brought the arrival of my husband's Aunt and uncle, so now we have 8 adults and 4 kids! Dinner was at 3:30 everyone was ready. We said grace Jackson pointed out his Thankful candle and we proceed to dish out food. Then my FIL's patients ran out. Kids were reaching for food, getting up from the table, being loud, then there were smart remarks about everyone not being able to fly first class (inside joke to long to explain) All in all it was to me a perfect Thanksgiving what I always dreamed it would be.




I sent my mom flowers and wished her a Happy Thanksgiving, she seemed to be fine and is excited for Christmas Eve. I dare say I think I may have found a happy balance between families.

Here are some pictures from the weekend enjoy, now I am off to catch up on my blog reading my reader read 409 when I logged on this morning sorry to say but some if not most of those blogs are not going to be read, but I will do my best!


The familyBefore the meal

Me and the kids

Me pigging out

The table

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger